Why Parkinson’s Research? Why the Foley Cup?
Over ten million people in the world suffer from Parkinson’s Disease, a progressive disorder of the nervous system whose cause is unknown. As of today, there is no cure.
In 2014, Parkinson’s became deeply personal for the Foley family when our patriarch, Vin Foley, was diagnosed with the disease. Anyone that knows Vin knows he has met every challenge in his life with strength, determination, humbleness and total commitment. The Foley Cup is a celebration of life, hope, and commitment to your community. Please read below for more of Vin’s story and we hope to see you at Indian Ridge Country Club on July 30, 2018, to raise money and awareness for Parkinson’s Research.
THE LEADER OF THE BAND
Vin was one of eight children raised in Lawrence to parents that believed in family, faith, and a commitment to your community. Vin has dedicated his life to making the world a better place for his family, friends, and colleagues. From his humble beginnings at DeMoulas Market to his decades-long tenure as President of Phelps Industries, Vin never forgot for a moment that he is, in his own words, “just a kid from Tower Hill.”
Vin’s father, Vincent P. Foley Sr., left a profound impact on everyone’s life that he touched, no one more than his eldest son, who would model his role as husband, father and grandfather after his dad. Vin has selflessly dedicated his life to his children, his wife Jeanne, and his 12 grandchildren. He takes more pride in the accomplishment of his family than he ever took in the extraordinary achievements of his own life.
A TIME TO GIVE BACK
It is now time for all of us that have been touched by Vin in our lives to give back. Parkinson’s research has made great strides in the last twenty years, but to date there are treatments but no cure. The work of Michael J. Fox and his foundation have contributed to great progress in the research for a cure, but more needs to be done. That’s where you come in.
The family and friends of Vin Foley are asking you to support The Foley Cup for Parkinson’s Research on August 14, 2017. Come out for the golf or just attend the awards dinner. Come support a great cause, with a great group of people.
NEED ANOTHER REASON TO COME OUT?
- Let’s be honest, you don’t have a chance at the Ryder Cup. The Foley Cup may be as close as you get.
- It’s the only golf tournament where a bogey golfer will likely be the captain of each team
- EXCLUSIVE opportunity to slice a drive on Hole 4 and possibly hit the childhood home of PGA Professional Rob Oppenheim
- There is a 40% chance of the Foley brothers fighting on the 18th green over who played worse
- 45s tournament in the clubhouse after the awards dinner. Vin and Paul Windle have reserved first place in advance, the rest of the field is playing for second